Hopkinton, MA CTA Construction and the town celebrated the completion of its renovation and expansion of the historic Hopkinton Public Library, a structure initially constructed in 1895. The renovation was aimed at preserving the building for a new generation of readers while protecting its historic features and architecture. In addition to the historic renovation, CTA completed an expansion of the library’s facilities, expanding its footprint to 25,000 s/f from 5,783 s/f and adding new technology.
“The renovation of historically significant buildings like the Hopkinton Public Library required significant planning and the input of the local historical commission, community leaders, and Hopkinton residents,” said Paul DuRoss, principal at CTA. “The community and project team really came through and made this library a modern facility that still respects its heritage. We’re proud to have delivered it to Hopkinton.”
The completion of the renovation and expansion was marked by a ribbon-cutting ceremony on the front steps of the library, attended by public officials and residents eager for a first look at the building. Attendees included town clerk Connor Deagan, selectman John Coutinho, senator Karen Spilka, town manager Norman Khumalo, president of library trustees Susan Porter, interim library director Deb Irven, and library director Heather Backman. The ribbon-cutting ceremony signaled the official opening of the library to the public after its temporary operations in a rented location on South St.
The expanded building features new meeting space, handicap accessibility, computer terminals, an improved children’s room, and space for library programs and after-hours community events. Hopkinton voters approved a debt-exclusion override in May 2014 to fund the project, which was budgeted at $11.8 million. That cost was supplemented by a $4.5 million state grant.