Boston, MA The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) New England regional office and the U.S. Department of Energy are honoring nine Massachusetts organizations as Energy Star partners for their contributions to public health and the environment. These enterprises have earned Energy Star Awards for demonstrating national leadership in cost-saving energy efficient solutions. They are among the 183 Energy Star Award Winners nationwide that were honored in Washington, D.C., on April 11.
“I applaud the 2019 Energy Star Award Winners. Their innovation and leadership enhance America’s economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment,” said EPA assistant administrator for Air and Radiation Bill Wehrum.
For more than 25 years,EPA’s Energy Star program has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. Since 1992, Energy Star and its partners helped save American families and businesses nearly 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and associated reductions of over 3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gases. In 2017 alone, Energy Star and its partners helped Americans save $30 billion in energy costs.
Examples of how Energy Star Award winners have demonstrated leadership in Massachusetts included:
- • Beacon Capital Partners is a tenant-focused private real estate investment firm, totaling over $13 billion in equity. Beacon Capital has maintained a longstanding commitment to energy conservation and sustainability across its portfolio, leveraging Energy Star tools and resources to communicate with stakeholders and maintaining a high average Energy Star score of 73 across its portfolio.
- • Boston Properties is a self-administered and self-managed real estate investment trust and one of the largest owners, managers, and developers of office properties in the United States. Boston Properties has demonstrated ongoing dedication to corporate sustainability and has integrated Energy Star into all aspects of its robust energy management program.
- • National Grid, of Waltham, is an electricity and natural gas delivery company that connects nearly 7 million customers to vital energy sources through its networks in New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. National Grid Rhode Island demonstrated excellence in delivering energy efficiency programs, specifically Home Performance with Energy Star, completing 2,500 projects for over 5,910 megawatt hours and 20,890 million British thermal units in savings.
- • Office Properties Income Trust – GOV Portfolio, of Newton, is a real estate investment trust which primarily owns office properties that are majority leased to the U.S. Government and other government tenants. GOV is receiving Partner of the Year recognition and has demonstrated an ongoing dedication to its energy management program, leveraging Energy Star tools and resources in unique ways to communicate throughout its organization.
- • Raytheon Company,of Waltham, is a technology and innovation company specializing in defense, civil government, and cybersecurity solutions. In 2018, Raytheon expanded its energy team membership and reach to develop a strategy along with projects that will generate ongoing energy savings into the future.
- • Staples, of Framingham, is an office supply retailer that has continued to maintain its notable corporate commitment to energy efficiency by consistently reducing energy use and being a leader in the industry.
- • Sustainable Comfort Inc., of Worcester, is a multifamily-focused green building consulting firm that in 2018 continued to expand in the affordable housing space, certifying more than 660 homes as Energy Star, representing a 60% increase compared to 2017.
- • The Lighting and Product Sponsors of Mass Save, in Waltham.Mass Save, sponsored by Cape Light Compact, Eversource, National Grid, and Unitil, helps consumers discover savings through the adoption of Energy Star certified products. The Sponsors of Mass Save successfully executed an omni-channel retail and recycling initiative that resulted in 295 million kilowatt hours in annual energy savings.
- • The RMR Group LLC, of Newton, is an asset management company whose business primarily consists of providing management services to real estate investment trusts and real estate related operating companies. In 2018, the group has continued to incorporate Energy Star tools and best practices into its services for the commercial real estate industry.