Quonset Business Park is increasingly seen as a key driver of job creation and economic growth in Rhode Island. It is now home to over 11,800 full-time and part-time jobs at more than 200 companies. Its Port of Davisville is one of the Top Ten auto-importers in North America. And since 2005, close to 5,000 jobs have been created within the Park. So why are so many businesses and people wanting to call Quonset home?
• World Class Infrastructure: Since 2005 we have invested more than $105 million to upgrade the infrastructure of the Park. That includes everything from the roads, rail, piers, and water system, to tearing down over 2.4 million s/f of derelict and unusable building space.
• 90 Day Development: The Quonset Development Corp. (QDC) has completed all the engineering that a developer would have to conduct as part of “due diligence” in order to get a project underway. Further, the QDC has secured all the baseline permits from various state agencies that a new business would be required to secure. In essence, shovels can be in the ground within 90 days of a new tenant signing their lease.
• The Quonset Zone: A single zoning district assigned to the park as part of an agreement with the host community of North Kingstown for uniform development regulations. The one-stop process means that all development and re-development projects in the park can proceed more efficiently and in a timely manner.
• Optimal Sized Parcels: Today there are more than 30 pre-engineered and pre-permitted across 260 acres ready for development. Ranging in size from 1 to 42 acres, we have the optimal space for any size business.
• Lease Incentive Plans: There are multiple lease incentives offered - the longer a tenant agrees to keep their business at the Park, the larger the discount available to them. Another incentive provides a discount to land lease tenants that is equal to 0.5% of their annual wages.
• Customizable Office Space: The Gateway Offices were developed as a QDC initiative to provide modern, state-of-the-art office space for start-ups or other small businesses. Today there are three Gateway Office buildings with over 90% occupancy. Additionally, later this year we will open the first phase of our Flex Industrial Campus which will provide customizable space to new and growing manufacturers.
These are just some of the top items we believe that guide a company’s decision to choose Quonset. There are many, many more, including our beaches, golf course, on-site retail, and other amenities.
Steven King, PE, is the managing director of the Quonset Development Corp., North Kingstown, R.I.