The top reasons to come to Quonset Business Park
November 07, 2013 - Rhode Island
* World Class Infrastructure: Since 2005 we have invested close to $86 million to upgrade the infrastructure of the Park. That includes everything from the roads, rail, piers, and water system, to tearing down over 2.4 million square feet of derelict and unusable building space.
* The Quonset Zone: A single zoning district assigned to the park as part of an agreement with the host community of North Kingstown for uniform development regulations. The one-stop process means that all development and re-development projects in the park can proceed more efficiently and in a timely manner.
* 90 Day Development: The QDC has completed all the engineering that a developer would have to conduct as part of "due diligence" in order to get a project underway. Further, the QDC has secured all the baseline permits from various state agencies that a new business would be required to secure. In essence, shovels can be in the ground within 90 days of a new tenant signing their lease.
* Optimal Sized Parcels: Today there are more than 30 parcels pre-engineered and pre-permitted across 354 acres, and they are ready for development for new companies looking to establish themselves at the park. The parcels range in size from 2 to 56 acres, creating an optimal space for any size business.
* It's Easy To Get Here: Quonset Business Park offers direct access to RI Route 4 and Interstate 95 from the new four lane highway, Route 403. It also offers easy access to three major airports (T.F. Green, Boston Logan, and Bradley International); a commuter line to Boston within 10 minute drive; Amtrak access within 25 minutes; and local bus service from the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority's (RIPTA) to the Quonset Gateway District - 33 times each day. The Park also includes freight rail access to Class 1 carriers and corporate aviation facilities onsite.
* Full service utilities: These include high-speed broadband (with multiple providers) , a water supply and wastewater treatment facility, and two on-site substations that provide electrical power.
* Lease Incentive Plans: There are multiple lease incentives offered - the longer a tenant agrees to keep their business at the Park, the larger the discount available to them. Another incentive provides a discount to land lease tenants that is equal to 0.5% of their annual wages.
* Rhode Island's only Public Port: The Port of Davisville is an important driver of economic growth for our state and is consistently one of the Top Ten auto importers in all of North America. Equipped with more than 46 acres of laydown area, a mobile harbor crane, and a rail line extending to the water's edge, it's available for more Rhode Island companies to export or import their domestic and international goods.
* More room for Start-Ups: The Gateway Offices are a new initiative launched by the QDC that provides small or start-up businesses with modern amenities, affordable rates, and the option of short-term leases, including a month-to-month option. While the first building is already sold out, Phase II of the project was recently approved by the Board and will be ready next year.
* Amenities Galore: The amenities within the park include a hotel, the TownePlace Suites by Marriott, onsite retail, including Dave's Marketplace, high-speed ferry access to Martha's Vineyard, a daycare facility, a public golf course, two banquet facilities, a 2.3 mile-long bike path, marinas, and the beaches mentioned below.
* Four Great Beaches: Blue Beach, Compass Rose Beach, Spinks Neck Beach, and Calf Pasture Point Beach (in the works) allow workers at the Park the public to embrace the breathtaking beauty of our state.
* History at your fingertips: Within the Park there are five historical and cultural venues, including the Seabee Memorial Park, Quonset Air Museum, and the Allen Madison House, just to name a few. And the stone for the World War II Memorial in Washington was cut right here at Quonset.
These are just some of the top reasons we believe many companies might need to come to Quonset, but there are still many, many more. To learn more, check out www.Quonset.com. We hope to hear from you soon!
Steven King, PE, is the managing director of the Quonset Development Corp., North Kingstown.