Will Rogers was one of the worlds most popular celebrities in the 1920s and 1930s and known as "The Ambassador of Good Will" and "The Prince of Wit and Wisdom." He was also the highest paid movie actor in Hollywood and was probably the most quoted human being in the world.
Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Never miss a good chance to shut up.
2. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
3. There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
4. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. A hunter came along and shot him. The moral - when you are full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
5. Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks it was called witchcraft. Today, its called golf.
6. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket.
7. Everything is changing. People are taking comedians seriously and laughing at the politicians.
8. The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesnt go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one hes got.
9. The worst thing that happens to you may be the best thing for you if you dont let it get the best of you.
10. Dont let yesterday use up too much of today.
Roland Hopkins is founder of the NEREJ, Norwell, Mass.