Mastics - Your pavement problem solver
June 05, 2014 - Owners Developers & Managers
By definition, Mastics are; A hot applied flowable, aggregate filled, flexible material applied as a void-less mass to fractures, voids or other discontinuities for preventive maintenance and repair to increase safety, slow continued deterioration and restore the pavement ride condition
Mastics are a hot applied pourable product. It is highly adhesive and is a binder asphalt modified with polymers and oils; this helps resist shoving and cracking. It also has 100% density with no compaction needed, flexible, waterproof, and adheres to AC & PCCP pavements. Mastics contain engineered aggregates to provide load bearing requirements and compression resistance with necessary stability while allowing the material to flow. Below are the main uses for mastics:
1. It is ideal for cracks 2" and wider. Previous solutions were to fill the cracks with hot crack sealant which usually fails or is too soft and causes a liability issue with high heels sinking into the rubber. The other option was to cut out the cracks and repave. The end result would be asphalt with poor density and the paving joints eventually opening up and now you have two cracks instead of one.
2. Repairing lips on manhole risers or catch basin frames. In the past you had to excavate the asphalt around the riser and repave. Mastics can be installed right around it eliminating the lip; and the time traffic is shut down and some of the expense to solve the issue.
3. Joints between concrete and asphalt the mastics are a perfect solution. The product adheres to both; which is ideal for large joints between garage floors and asphalt.
4. The product is also a perfect solution for leveling elevation discrepancies which could be a trip hazard without having to do expensive asphalt repairs.
5. The product is pourable and spreadable so it can be used to repair fractures or alligatored areas and potholes in the asphalt. The product is flexible and waterproof ; allowing it to hold the area together for many years.
6. Mastics are perfect for sealing bridge deck approaches and utility cuts.
7. The product can be used to minimize ruts in the parking areas and delaminating areas sometimes caused by oil and gas spills.
Mastics are becoming an easy and quick solution to problems that in the past were expensive or did not actually work. This product sets up quickly so repaired areas are opened up to traffic quickly. In some instances the mastics are a better solution than many that have been available in the past.
Craig Swain is the president of New England Sealcoating Co., Inc., Hingham, Mass.