Construction Institute workshop - January 17
Management of Legal Exposures
BLENDED LEARNING SESSION!
ONLINE TRAINING: Begins January 3, 2018
LIVE INSTRUCTOR SESSION: January 17, 2018 (8:30 A.M. start - 2-3 hours)
Blended Learning Session
What is "Blended Learning"? Blended learning sessions (also known as hybrid or mixed-mode courses) are classes where a portion of the traditional face-to-face instruction is replaced by web-based online learning. This allows the participant to work through most of the training at their own pace, and according to their own schedule.
Description of this Session?
Every project participant makes decisions that have potential legal ramifications and resultant additional costs. This workshop, with an attorney and claims consultant as instructors, will show participants how early knowledge of potential problems is the price of success.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENT
This workshop is the 6th of 6 workshops required for CI's Project Management Certificate program.
• Review of potential legal issues which may result from missteps.
• Review case law examples, which will serve as foundation for explanation of a variety of construction related issues.
• Discuss the importance of considering legal hurdles before making decisions, issuing RFI's, making promises or demanding compliance.
• Raise the level of knowledge of all attendees to enable their subsequent identification of legal problems before the damage is done.??
Gregory Faulkner, Partner at Robinson & Cole LLP
Mr. Faulkner is a partner and Chair of the Construction Practice with the firm Robinson & Cole, and member of the firm's Managing Committee. He has served as local, national, and international counsel in all aspects of construction law. In addition to serving the needs of all areas of the construction industry, he works closely with institutional owners and developers in the education, hospitality, and food and beverage industries with regard to their unique building and facilities program needs. He is also a long time member of the Commercial and Construction Panel of Neutrals for both the American Arbitration Association and the American Dispute Resolution Center.
Roy Cooper, P.E., Vice President at Arcadis
Mr. Cooper is the Vice President and leader of ARCADIS’ Contract Solutions group in North America. Mr. Cooper has more than 27 years of construction experience, including the analysis and review of complex construction claims from the beginning stages through trial support and expert testimony. Mr. Cooper has led large-scale claims evaluation assignments of almost every type, including the evaluation of schedule impacts, cost impact analysis, mediation, and claims negotiation, and has been qualified as an expert on both horizontal and vertical type projects. Mr. Cooper is a licensed Professional Engineer in the states of Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Maryland, New York and Rhode Island. Mr. Cooper has a Bachelor’s of Science in Civil Engineering from Michigan Technological University and a Master’s in Business Administration from the University of Connecticut.
Mr. Cooper combines a strong educational and technical background along with practical experience and knowledge of construction principles and management. His years of field and management experience have provided him with the ability to quickly identify and resolve complex technical and financial issues. Due to his background, Mr. Cooper also often gets engaged when disputes arise during construction, to act as a real-time problem solver. Mr. Cooper is an accomplished public speaker and is often invited to speak at seminars on construction claims and managing projects more effectively.
?Training Details and Schedule
Workshop will consist of online modules with assessments and live instructor session. Participants should plan to spend approximately 90-120 minutes to complete the online training prior to the in-person session.
• Online training opens up on January 3, 2018 at NOON. Online training needs to be completed by January 16, 2018 at NOON.
• Live instructor session to take place on January 17, 2018 in Hartford - start time 8:30 A.M. Session length will be 2-3 hours. In-person participation is preferred, but webinar access is available for those who are remotely located. (If you will need to participate via WEBINAR, please note that in the comments section when registering, or email firstname.lastname@example.org).?
Participants will need
• To set up a Microsoft Office Mix account (this is free and can be set up using an existing Microsoft or Google email account, Facebook account or work email account). Instructions will be provided.??
• Access to a device: Office Mix supports the latest version of all major browsers (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari) on desktops, laptops, Windows tablets and Apple® Macintosh® computers.
Members: $165 / Non-Members: $225
Members, please login prior to registering to receive the member discount.
Continuing Educational Credit
Construction Institute is an AIA Registered Provider and a CCM Recertification Point Provider.
Course attendees are eligible to receive 0.4 Continuing Education Units, 4 CCM Renewal Points and/or 4 AIA Continuing Education Learning Units, verified through certificates of attendance, which are sent to participants after completion of workshop and assessment.
Course attendees wishing to receive AIA Continuing Education Learning Units and/or CCM Renewal Points should check in at the sign-in desk and fill out the appropriate attendance form(s) to receive credit.