Boston, MA The Smith, located at 89 East Dedham St., and designed by CBT architects, has been named recipient of both LEED Silver and Fitwel 2-star rating certifications.
“During a year when issues like work-from-home environments, individual health, outdoor activities and eco-friendly measures are foremost in our minds, we are honored to be among the buildings that offer safe, healthy and luxurious amenities for our residents,” said Sam Reiche, vice president and partner at Leggat McCall Properties, owner of the property.
The Smith received a LEED Silver designation based on the following sustainability achievements, among others:
• 35% offset of fossil fuel consumption through renewable energy certificates, through a mixture of wind, solar, biomass and geothermal renewable power;
• 40% potable water use reduction through low flow plumbing fixtures;
• Bicycle facilities and EV fueling stations on site to promote alternative/carbon free transportation; and
• Recycled nearly 90% of construction waste.
The Smith joins buildings, sites, and communities from around the world as part of Fitwel Certification System, the world’s leading certification system committed to building health for all. The Smith is the first multifamily project to achieve Multi-Family Residential v2.1 certification which achievements include:
• Positive impacts on mental, social health and social equality with access to a common outdoor courtyard, proximity to outdoor restorative garden, parks, fitness areas and transparency of health features;
• Well-being through enhanced indoor air quality strategies, occupant comfort surveys for continual feedback, access to daylight and views to nature;
• Increased potential of physical activity through walkability (Walk score of 96), access to pedestrian walking routes, bicycle paths, safe street infrastructure, numerous public transit options (Transit Score of 83) and an internal stairwell;
• Access to healthy nutritional options through grocery stores, farmers’ market, and restaurants within a 1/2-mile radius; and
• Promotion of occupant safety through emergency preparedness procedures and plans.
The Smith is composed of 300 apartments designed to accommodate singles, couples and families including studio, one, two and three-bedroom apartments ranging from 484 to 1,328 s/f. The apartments feature design elements such as movable kitchen islands, stainless-steel appliances, walk-in closets and glass showers, cabinet storage space, and floor-to-ceiling windows.
Select apartment homes are now available for 2 ½ months rent free.
Fitwel is a health and wellness framework which aims to enhance the well-being of occupants. Through design and operational strategies Fitwel enhances buildings by addressing health behaviors and risks to increase well-being, enhance access to nutritional options, promote safety and emergency preparedness, support social equity and encourage active living.