Having “followers” in business is a good thing. Who are they? Your followers are those interested in what you think, say and do. They are the people who would recommend your firm in a heartbeat. And they choose to “follow” you literally in the media because they value your insights.
Celebrity or Influencer?
If you’ve been in the same profession for 5 years or more and have a successful track record, people who know this about you will value your thoughts and opinions. If you write and speak publicly, you’ll attract a following of curious and like-minded people, and you’ll begin to influence their thinking. The more you engage people with value, the wider your influence grows in the market.
Would You Follow Yourself?
Whether you’re a buyer, seller, connector or just an observer, the amount you engage other businesspeople in meaningful conversations is usually in direct proportion to your current business success. If people respect what you say, they are likely to follow you in the market, in your industry, at events, and it extends online. The key is to publish content and make sure it passes the value test! Do people get value and are they entertained when reading, listening or watching?
Proactive Market Engagement
Consider the ways in which you engage people for the purpose of growing your business.
• How many networking events per month do you attend?
• Are you considered a “regular” in the groups you belong to?
• Do you sponsor or host events that bring businesspeople together?
• Do you lead workshops, seminars and educational events?
• Do you have an email list you regularly send newsletters and updates to your followers?
• Do you join boards and committees so you can contribute to and influence the groups you belong to?
• Do you invest time to build individual relationships with key players and influencers in your market?
Having affirmative answers to these questions will enable you to develop followers who will help you grow by advocating for your business success.
Real Followers do more than like and click!
Your real followers will make direct business referrals, share your posts to their networks, hire you for services and show up to your events, and they will tell their friends. Make 2022 your time to step out, step up, and lead your market!
Chuck Sink is the owner of Chuck Sink Link, a marketing services agency in Sunapee NH.